Thursday, January 18, 2007

The name game

I read the sweetest story yesterday of how our music minister, Bryan Haskins, named his miracle baby boy (read here http://www.justonemore.info/). I thought I'd share why my children have their names.
I was pregnant in January of 2001 but had a miscarriage shortly after finding out. We had been trying to have a baby from the time we were married in November of 1999. SO, needless to say I had names picked out. I felt she was a girl, so her name would have been Sydney Hope Logan. There was no special reason for it- I just liked it.
I then found out a few months later that I was pregnant again- this time a boy (I wanted 3 boys most of my life-why I don't' know). I loved the name Stone but wanted him to have a middle name that meant something special and I wanted to use the initials from the first baby so they would carry meaning even though we did not have her. I went to a family reunion on my father's side where there was much discussion about the patriarch of his family- Locke Houston (L.H.) Jones. My oldest brother carries the middle name Locke. I understand that L.H. was a hard working man that you just did not mess with. I liked what I heard and loved the name Houston. Therefore, I now have Stone Houston Logan. It fits him in every way!
13 months later I gave birth to a little girl- just what I needed but I did not know that at the time! I played with her name over and over. I love my daddy and always have been a daddy's girl so I wanted to name her after him but it just never fit. I had Merry Lawrence Logan picked out for a long time but like I said- it did not fit. Now I know why- she is such a Sadie and all that know her would agree. While she is girly like a Merry Lawrence, she is not dainty nor prim. She is a pistol, a ball of fire, determined and stubborn as the day is long!!! Much like her mother and her Aunt Catrina. Her middle name is my grandmother's (memaw) maiden name. If there is one person who can make me laugh and that I just enjoy spending time with (other than my husband) it is my memaw. So I wanted my little girl to have a part of her. Therefore I have Sadie Hamilton Logan. It fits her in every way!
And now you know that I named my children and my precious husband let me and he agreed- no arguments, no discussions- it was quite easy.
I thank God every day for my children and the joy,challenges, and hope they bring to me.

No comments: