Monday, May 14, 2007

Book Review

While I was basking in the sun I read a great book I wanted to share with you. It is entitled The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. Since I have been mesmerized by people with special needs most of my life this book was fascinating to me. However, it is a book for everybody because it deals with the sacred moments we have in life that often we take for granted. Every little incident that occurs with your family helps shape who your kids will become. Do you spend too much time at work or at play? Are the moments you have at home quality moments or are you just there taking up space? These are challenging, soul searching questions you ask yourself when you read this book. If my children were born with a disability would my life be better or worse? At first thought we might think worse, but read the book and find out what happened to this family. Here's a summary of what happens:

This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins.
His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Can I borrow it? I would love to read it since I am going to have some free time for a few months!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good! I'll have to read it when I'm finished with the book I'm reading, "Redeeming Love." It is very good also. It is about a
woman who was born illegitimate and was abused in her young life.
She becomes a prostitute but was found by a very good man who believes in forgiveness and that people can change with love and god in their life. Pam

Michelle said...

Mandi - The book that Pam is talking about is written by Francine Rivers. She is one of my favorite authors. "Redeeming Love" is a wonderful book. I have a few of her books if you would like to read her stuff. She is great!!!